Tuesday, July 02, 2013

K's first solo trip

I miss K, which is ridiculous since I normally wouldn't see him until later anyway. The grandparents came and took him away for a few days. I feel like a little piece of me is stretched out on a rubberband. Not so much a piece of my heart, more like a piece of my intestine or something that I just assume is always with me without thinking too much about it. Turns out I'm fine with going away from him, but I don't like it when he goes away from me.

I thought I'd be sick of him after last week. I took the week off from work and we hung out together. Tuesday was his last day of kindergarten. (Monday I finally got to have the me-day I didn't get for my birthday. I ate falafel and ice cream and browsed in a bookstore and saw "This is the End.") We spent the rest of the week lounging around the house, running errands, visiting the Museum of Science, playing air hockey and pinball at the local arcade, bowling, and hitting baseballs in the backyard. Over the weekend we went to the playground, swam at Walden Pond, played at the Children's Museum, and made lemon blueberry ice cream. Every day, K danced around and yelled, "Summer vacation!"

Last night, I told K I thought X would miss him most of all. K cried a little and said, "He loves to hug me! We play and wrestle together every day. Give X a big hug for me, okay? I'm really going to miss him!" I thought X would be sad and confused with K gone, but K would be happy to have all the attention to himself (and nobody destroying his stuff). They've really become good friends over the past few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment