Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Parents versus child-free

Interesting article in Slate about why toddlers throw tantrums (nutshell: they have no way to identify their emotions, no experiences to draw on, no way to distinguish needs from wants, and their world is generally extremely confusing).

I think this exchange in the comments sums up the two camps of people who want and don't want kids:

Commenter 1: And this is why I don't have children.
Commenter 2: FYI: the headaches are far outweighed by the good stuff like daily moments of pure joy and awe.
Commenter 1: I don't believe you.

8 comments:

  1. Yep! Nail on the head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahahaha. Sometimes, I find it difficult to defend #2 too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That made me smile for the first time in a few days. Even though I ended up going the childless route, I think I could have just as easily enjoyed the other. There's great aspects to both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's definitely true! Like when Z is throwing her 10th tantrum of the day and then say a new phrase or word and we both have to try not to laugh. But I can see how if it's not your kid that would sound like a lower level of hell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:25 AM

    I also view having kids/raising the next generation as a way of leaving my mark on this world and making a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I don't believe commenter 2 either! Daily moments of what now? I'm just keeping my head down and waiting out the beastly toddler years until the day I don't get a shoe thrown at my head from the back seat of the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^what she said
      But, speaking as the parent of a toddler and a 9-year-old, I can say that 1) it does get better or, at least, different and 2) thank God Pumpkinhead wasn't as obnoxious as a toddler as his brother is!

      Delete
  7. You're awesome, in case you haven't been told that lately.

    ReplyDelete